Swineherd Pie

Swineherd Pie
My second savoury recipe in a row. I know. It isn't normal but I can't say I'm sorry. I did this to you last year, first with a pearl barely bake and then with a baked risotto. Both of those recipes tasted amazing (but that doesn't stop me laughing at those photographs.) Sometimes, most of the time if truth be told, leftovers make the best meals and I'm always trying out new things to get inventive with them. Who is with me?
The pork version of cottage or shepherds pie made using the most tender of leftover pork mixed with leftover vegetables in a rich gravy and topped with a creamy mash. Dig in.

Ingredients
For the filling: 
  • 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
  • 3 carrots, trimmed, peeled and finely diced
  • A handful of chestnut mushrooms, wiped and chopped
  • A generous handful (as much as you would like really) leftover pork, chopped
  • A little oil
  • About half pint of thick gravy (I used leftover gravy made from the stock I slow cooked the pork in)
For the topping: 
  • 2-3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
  • Splash of milk/cream
  • Pepper
  • Handful of Wensleydale (or other cheese), grated
Instructions
  1. First start preparing the filling. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the vegetables. Slowly cook over a medium heat while you prepare the mashed potato topping. When softened, set aside. 
  2. Meanwhile, place the potato chunks in a saucepan of boiling water and cook for 5-10 mins until soft. Drain and mash, mixing in the milk/cream, pepper to taste and half the Wensleydale. 
  3. Set the oven to 200 C/180 C fan and place an ovenproof dish on a baking tray. Mix the vegetables with the meat and gravy and spread out in the dish. Spoon over the mashed potato and spread out, roughing it up a bit if you like crunchy bits. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 mins until piping hot and the gravy is bubbling. Serve straight away.
I haven't done so in a while but I'm mightily pleased to be able to link up with Lucy's CookBlogShare over at Supergolden Bakes once again.

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel